Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 27, 2010 4:29 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have no problem with using an AR for hunting. It's not like it is a fully automatic weapon. What is the difference between hunting with an AR & hunting with a Semi-Auto Hunting Rifle??

• May 17, 2010 4:19 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have to agree.
    • June 6, 2010 8:49 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have absolutely no problem with using an Assault Rifle for hunting. I don't own or hunt with one, but as with any weapon we choose to hunt with, It's our responsability to educate ourselves and learn the limitiations of the weapons. It's our friends that have not educated themselves on assault weapons that seem to take issue with it. In fact, a lot of times, it's the same group that says my bow won't humanely kill an animal. An Assault style rifle is and has been on my wish list for many years.....hopefully I can afford one soon.
    • June 6, 2010 8:52 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Of course those opinions always seem to come from non hunters. how can you give an honest opinion about something if you have never had to experience to draw that "educated" conclusion?
    • June 8, 2010 4:35 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

a gun is a gun is a gun, no matter what shape or configuration it is in. It is just another avenue for the anti's to try and get the door opened so they can eventually kick it down and steal the right to keep and bear arms! All the in-fighting in our hunting a gun enthusiast community needs to stop here and now. we can ill afford ANY in-fighting over types of weapons either gun or archery....it is just stupidity that every sportsman cannot see this. makes me wonder if it isn't sleeper cells in our community that pop up and start this kind of ignorance. I am not saying that to you guy's who asked the question...don't mis-understand me please, all directed toward people who think they know better than ANYBODY else what weapon they should be using....drives me freaking nuts!!!!
    • June 8, 2010 4:44 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Actually Derek- I posed the question.
      I am not opposed to assault rifles, semi auto, cross bows etc. I just thought that this would be a healthy forum for us as "hunters" to see what is. Hunters really need to stick together as a fraternaty & exercise our constitutional rights. Our 1st amendment right to speak out & voice our opinion about our 2nd amendment right to bear arms as a "FREE" society as our forefathers bestoed upon us over 200 years ago.
    • June 9, 2010 3:10 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

here in the uk we are not able to use assault rifles or semi autos because in the past 2 idiots killed inocent people on a shooting spree,we now have the strictest gun laws inthe world and to round it off someone else as just killed 12 people in the uk so no dout the so called do gooders will be wanting more rules imposed on leagal gun users again, watch this space.
    • June 11, 2010 6:30 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As stated by Gerry we are not allowed assault rifles, pistols etc etc here in the UK due to previous problems. Although being a very keen shooter of shotguns and rifles i could never see the point of assault type weapons and pistols. Using shotguns for game and rifles for vermin and deer is fine and do the job well. Anything else is just for fun and a toy as far as i can see. It will be interesting to see what happens with the gun laws following the last shooting spree. Poss .22 will be restricted to bolt action only and we mat even loose sound moderators. Will we have to wait and see.
    • August 2, 2010 10:33 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

While I've never used one or owned one, I am 100% behind using an assault style weapon for hunting.
      A friend of mine uses an AR in 5.56 for managing a ranch. High velocity, high accuracy, and zero recoil.
      Having seen what he can do with one, I've started pricing building one rather than buying one pre-built for hog hunting.
      I personally don't see much difference in an AR and a semi-automatic .22-250 for hunting purposes. 95% of my hunting is done with a bow, but when I do use a rifle, I'd like the high velocity, low recoil, and accuracy.
    • August 2, 2010 10:37 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

So true Kelly-
      I was shooting a friends AR last week & there was Zero recoil. What a pleasure to shoot.
    • August 2, 2010 11:00 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'll even expand on what I want to do a little. May not be for this part of the forum, but...
      I'm going to price and build an AR in either 6.5 or 6.8 SPC with some affordable night optics for hog hunting.
      And Chris. Yes, they are truly wonderful to shoot. I'll post pictures when I can finally afford to build the rifle.
    • August 3, 2010 11:55 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I recently decided to look for a semi-auto weapon, and have set my eyes on a colt m4 carbine in a 5.56 nato. it is beautiful in every way imaginable. however, i believe the reason so many people are scared of guns is because they are not educated on them. and the term "assault rifle" besides being politically incorrect, is also a very intimidating term. when referring to these types of semi autos, or fully autos for those of you who do not live in conservative new jersey, i believe that using a term other than assault rifle greatly reduces the amount of intimidation to the non hunting population. just a thought, either way, i cant wait to get my m4 carbine, it truly is a beautiful machine
    • October 2, 2010 9:49 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

All of my rifles are semi auto's, in order to determine thier value and proper application I have tested AR's, AK's, and a GSG for small game. They are all great weapons and I'll hunt with them all. They also have the ability to allow me to defend my home and family from the growing threat of crime. I've always agreed with the adage "When they outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns." These so called assault rifles are excellent hunting tools, they have more options available for customizing them than more basic rifles because of the home defense market they are so favored in. I have done extensive work on some of mine and as a result I have some very fine and extremely accurate rifles. Just what you want for hunting to insure a clean kill when you go hunting.

• January 20, 2011 12:10 PM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Pennsylvania allows a semi-auto shotgun to be used for waterfoul and upland game if plugged to 3 shells maximum. However, Pa. only allows manually operated rifles for big game hunting such as a bolt action, lever action or pump; UNLESS a hunter has a handicap which involves the total loss of use of both hands or amputation of at least 1 hand. I have parathesis (numbness) in both hands with TOTAL loss of feeling in both hands and wear braces for carpel tunnel. I use both a Knight Armament SR25 Enhanced Carbine or SR25 Enhanced Match rifle in .308. They're equiped with ambidexterous safeties and mag releases. Scoped with Burris Laser scope. The magazines must be blocked to 5 shells max.
    • February 11, 2011 6:12 AM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Geez, i Hate the term "assault rifle"- any rifle used in an assault. When an outdoorsman or woman uses that term it gives me chills. AR's are great rifles and should be used with no restrictions as long as the caliber matches the game hunted. Practice often, hunt hard, hold your head high, and speak out when in the company of those less informed, let them know you are a sportsman. God Bless.
    • February 14, 2011 12:52 PM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You are fortunate to debate using an AR or not. I am still waiting after 13 months for my license to possess a 30-06 bolt action and a 243. We may not own AR's, nor may we own semi-auto's. Would love to shoot something (politician in Africa?) with a BMG though!
    • February 17, 2011 1:07 PM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

James Kerns said:
      Geez, i Hate the term "assault rifle"- any rifle used in an assault. When an outdoorsman or woman uses that term it gives me chills. AR's are great rifles and should be used with no restrictions as long as the caliber matches the game hunted. Practice often, hunt hard, hold your head high, and speak out when in the company of those less informed, let them know you are a sportsman. God Bless.

I tend to agree and would also prefer not to see or use the term Assault Rifle, when in a sporting and hunting context. I understand we (I) are talking semantics, but try to remember that perception means a lot to a lot of people. I feel we can be staunch supporters of the 2nd Ammendment and our hunting rights, while still remaining at least somewhat P.C.  I also prefer calling our "guns" guns or rifles, pistols, etc. rather than calling them weapons.

The term weapon is not foriegn to me (I am, after all, retired military) but I simply think more common "civilian" terms are easier for most non hunters to accept and understand. There are some that think we hunters & shooters should not bend to some of these simple biases. But knowing the majority of U.S. citizens are non hunters, I choose to try and co-exist with our fellow Americans hoping they understand our ideas and rights on gun ownership and hunting, rather than forcing terms or ideas that might not be as easy for them to understand. 

Of course this is just this man's opinion. Thanks for reading.

• February 21, 2013 9:55 PM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My son uses a AR 223 for deer hunting and it is great for him with very little recoil.  The collaspeable stock allows for a great fit.  Saved me several hundred dollars from buying him a youth riffle and he can grow with it.
    • February 22, 2013 6:43 AM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I really like the AR 223 as well

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is closed
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel
test