Forums Deer Hunting Open Questions about Deer Hunting
  • Topic: Which Doe do you Kill on your property?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 4, 2010 4:53 PM EDT
    • Untitled

Alrite guys ....lets here it.....I dont know if I have the right answer ...but the logic is there.....lets see if everyone else is on the same page.........And I do have a very viable answer......Slick50

• October 13, 2010 10:29 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'll kill the doe in the crosshairs on the last day of hunting season, if the freezer is still empty. Or of course, the one with a nice rack.
    • January 20, 2011 1:26 PM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I always apply for and usually get a doe (anterless) permit but will usually not shoot a doe unless it is toward the end of the season and I haven't taken a buck. If a shoot a buck I will NOT fill my doe permit. Since Pa. has instituted it's new deer management program (which I don't agree with) I do NOT hunt doe on the family property or traditional hunting grounds but rather on public hunting grounds 100 miles from the usual spot(s).
    • February 17, 2011 11:27 AM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't normally shoot does in my local hunting areas. When I do, I wait until the end of the season or at least after I've already filled my buck tag. In Tennessee we are allowed 3 bucks total for the season (one per day) and with proper tags we can shoot three deer a day (again, only one buck/day)  I prefer to let the max number of does roam through the rut, hoping they will attract more bucks onto the properties I hunt. Then when/if the time comes for me to harvest a doe, I take the most mature doe I can find in a group. I prefer not to take lone does, hoping to not mistake a button buck for a doe. This past season I took one buck in Tennesse, one in Kentucky and one in Indiana and no does. I took a doe during last season's late ML hunt in Kentucky that was one I'd seen three or four times during rifle season and thought was a monster. She dressed at 148. 

• February 22, 2011 1:38 PM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think it would be best to choose the biggest doe that doesn't have a fawn or two trailing. My thought here  is the doe may be past breeding age or you are reducing the herd most likely by three since most does have twins in the spring. Also by shooting the bigger doe more venison goes in the freezer, the smaller does consume less food than  the adult does. Seems there are lots of ways to answer this question and the bottom line is the individual hunter makes the final decision keeping in mind on public lands not all hunters would respond like this. I have seen some little does harvested in the name of conservation.

• February 22, 2011 1:44 PM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The bag limit in Maryland is 10 during bow, 10 during firearms, 10 during muzzleloader. In Delaware it is total 4 does, 2 bucks  one must be taken with Quality Buck tag. Additional doe tags may be purchased. Even with these liberal bag limits there are still lots of does that are not takenin some areas. QDMA is just getting started here in DE been around for about 5 years. On public lands most likely if it is brown it is downed, some Bucks make it to three years or more, but you see a lot of smaller bucks that didn't make it, the same is true for the does

• March 6, 2011 7:39 PM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't have any problems shooting Does. The size/ age usually depends on if it's for my freezer or for someone else. We don't eat a lot of venison, but I do shoot deer for other people that can't or don't get the opportunity to hunt.
    • November 9, 2011 4:38 AM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ill shoot a doe just as quick as i would shoot a buck...
    • February 16, 2012 5:39 PM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

With deer densities in Westrern NC at .6 per square mile, I don't shoot does on my property but antywhere else, I always go for the big nanny. She's as tough to kill as any old buck.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is closed
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel
test