Forums Stupid Hunting Stories Need I say More?
  • Topic: Tough Hunt in 09

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 25, 2011 4:17 PM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Like most of you deer hunters out there I do my scouting and change my hunting locations as the deer season progress and their habits, trails and food sources change. 2009 season came and I thought I had everything zeroed in for the seasons' firearms. Well, it seemed that shooting was all around me every day as I hunted mornings, mid-day and evenings without even seeing a doe. It came down to the final day and I decided to hunt a piece of marsh near a tidal marsh area. As I travelled thru the weeds I came to a small stream which I needed to cross to get to the edge of the marsh. I found an old log that had felled across the stream and started across the log. When I got to within 2 feet of the otherside my feet slipped and down I went into the cold water, portable stand, gun and thermos. Quickly I stood up and made a decision whether wet or not I was going to hunt. All was fine and well until 8a.m when I started to shiver, my mind told me I needed to leave and go get dry and return later , but, my heart said give it 15 more minutes. Being a former Marine and infantry sgt I had experienced tougher situations, so I stayed.At 8:20 I heard thwe crashing of brush as deer moved towards where I was hunting. Two does burst into an opening followed by a 7 point buck. I shot the first doe and then the trailing buck who seemed confused that anyone should be out in his marsh. The doe fell dead and the buck ran off and disappeared from my sight.Then the uncertainty ran thru my mind, why didn't he drop. I climbed down the loblloly pine and gutted the doe, tag the animal and went to look for the buck. When I got to wwhere the buck was standing there was blood and hair but no sign of the buck. I walked the direction of the blood and there he laid just inside some bayberry bushes a mere 20 feet from where I shot him. I proceeded to gut him and placed a tag on him and walked backed to my pick--up. I got inside the cab and warmed myself up. Suddenly the cold had left and I felt warm and energize. After half an hour I trudged back into the marsh and began retrieving the two deer which took me about 1 1/2 hours. So like Yogi Berra said, it ain't over till it's over. Any deer taken on public hunting land on the east coast I consider a trophy, so it was for me in 09, last day of season, shivering but collecting my trophies for the year.

• April 11, 2011 2:25 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for sharing that with us. I guess all of us are not that brave to share their hunting Bloopers. We all have them. So we might as well share them and have a good chuckle, right?
    • June 23, 2011 1:38 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know if this is a blooper but last year I had my daughter tagging along with me while turkey hunting. IT'S ALWAYS WISE NOT TO GO ALONE! Even though I usualy do. We were walking through this marshy area and WHAM I stepped in the wrong place. 2 seconds I sunk in this mud up to my crotch. I fell myself backwards to stop sinking in. My tiny daughter must have got an adrenalen rush and pulled me out. I remember I was stuck like a sucktion cup in that mud. I packed it in for the day after that.
    • June 23, 2011 2:03 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

LOL Thanks Tom Lucky your daughtrer was with you
    • June 23, 2011 3:41 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I got another one for you. About 3 years ago spring turkey hunting I was making some calls and a black bear came in. Maybe I was a little off that day and sounded like a dieing turkey. The bear wasn't that big but still big enough to maul me. He kept comming closer and closer to me about 35 yards so I stood up raising my arms above my head and groweled at him to scare him away. It didn't scare him, it pissed him off! He ran closer to me and jumped onto a tree hanging off the side of it stairing me down. I figured if he came any closer I would have to shoot him in the face with my 10ga. but he finaly got down and slowly walked away. Needless to say I packed it up and called it a day again. Turkey hunting is supposed to be a stress relief for me.
    • June 23, 2011 3:47 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That happend to me too! I was walking up to the range at Whitetail Hunting Club & for some reason, i left my rifle in the truck. this bear pops up from a bush about 15 yards away! It was a small bear, maybe 200lbs at best but I am sure it could still do a job on me. I stopped & we stared at eachother for a few minutes. I took a step backwards & it took off & climbed at tree. I backed out of the woods, got my rifle & went back to the range to do my target shooting. this time the bear was gone. I still looked over my shoulder after each shot though
    • June 23, 2011 4:12 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

These bears got balls. They come into my backyard when my kids are playing. I got stories how close to killing them I've been.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is closed
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel
test