Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 30, 2011 9:48 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alright, so I'm somewhat new to archery, been shooting for a while, but this will be my first season heading out for Deer during the archery season.  I've been doing alot of research on which broadheads to  use.  This seems to be the question of the decade, because it seems to all be prefference, but with broadheads as expensive as 3 for $40 who can afford to "TRY OUT" everything. 

Reviews are only as good as the people leaving them, you dont know who is bs-ing, who is just a "I ONLY USE THIS" and who is truely educated and open minded and uses a combination of science and commen sense to make a decision.

The pro's and con's for Mechanical to Fixed broadheads seems to be somewhat consistant.  But the manufacturer sites are only gonna tell you what you need to hear and I find that the best information comes from word of mouth from people in your sport who have threw trial and error come up with a preffered product.

::PHEW::  so allll that being said, what do you guys like to use for whitetail and what is the reasoning behind your choice in broadhead product that you use.  Obviously shot placement and taking a true ethical shot is the #1 & 2 most important factors, but if you guys could share your other experiences I would really appreciate it.

I just recently after research decided to check out the NAP Bloodrunner 2 blade, but then realized its Illegal in NY because they are considered barbed (i hunt in New York, which "barbed" broadheads are illegal)  NY consideres anything that has a angle between the bottom most blade and the shaft to be less then 90 degrees.  So after returning my bloodrunners i decided to try the NAP Spitfires which "shoot like field tips"  100gr.  So i get home and throw them on, shoot a couple into my foam block, and they dont deploy.  Yes i know they close after stopping but i checked the whole, they didnt deploy.  WHAT TO DO?? Fixed broadheads next? but then do i have to change my fletching, most manufacturers for fixed broadheads, recomend angled fletching to keep a spin on the arrow.

Any guidance, advice, words of wisdom or comfort would be appreciated hahaha.  Thanks alot guys, and a safe and healthy hunting season!

-Mike C  (NY)

This post was edited by Mike Clark at September 30, 2011 9:49 PM EDT
    • October 5, 2011 1:06 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mike,
      You are correct when you say that shot placement is the key to a successful bow hunt. I have used many different types of broadheads - fixed and mechanical. In my opinion, it is best to make sure that you can hit your mark, and secondly, create a big wound tunnel. I have had a lot of success with whitetail and one huge elk with the Wasp 1 3/16" fixed three blades. This year I will be using the G5 Magnum 1 1/2" fixed three blade. I will let you know (hopefully soon) how they work.

John Hayes
    • October 5, 2011 2:11 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks alot for you input John. I wound up settling on the NAP Spitfire's 100gr 3 blade. Heard alot of good stuff about them through networking. Season opens up in a couple weeks here in NY so i'll let you know how they do if I get a chance to use them. Good luck on your hunt this season and thanks again for responding. Let me know how you do yourself.
      -Mike
    • October 5, 2011 4:05 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like fixed just because it's one less thing to malfunction and I like not having to fool with clips and rubber bands. I use the Muzzy 3-Blade and like it. Affordable and makes a big old hole!
    • October 5, 2011 6:16 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I hear ya Will, and that was my mentality going into this, what can malfunction, place a good shot, the blades cut, DONE! You can go back and forth with pros/cons between the two, I got persuaded by my buddies to try these Spitfires, we see what happens, my grouping has been solid @ 30 yds so i'm gonna give it a shot and we take it from there.. (no pun intended) haha
    • October 12, 2011 4:31 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I will let you know how I do using Rage this weekend.
    • October 13, 2011 11:45 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

good luck chris... im supposed to be heading up tomorrow, but think i'm getting pushed back to next weekend, kinda dissapointed, but keep in touch let me know how you do..
    • October 13, 2011 12:29 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That is Disappointing Mike. I will let you know how it goes. I have seen some Bear droppings around my stand so maybe a big black will show up as well.
    • October 18, 2011 8:10 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The G5 Magnum did the trick.  Shot a mature doe last night.  Left a huge hole- entry and exit.  She went about 40 yards, wobbled - then down - perfect!

• October 18, 2011 8:46 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nice John. Congrats! Where did you hit her?
    • October 18, 2011 8:49 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Slightly quartered away, entry about middle body, exit right behind front shoulder. Almost perfect- she kicked like a mule when she took off. Ready for a buck now!
    • October 18, 2011 8:53 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sounds to me like you clipped the heart on the exit
    • February 29, 2012 9:43 AM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Rage Broadheads were ok- I think that I am still partial to the regular Broadheads. You can never go wrong with a NAP Product
    • March 7, 2012 12:52 PM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Shot a boar with the G5 Magnum, same result. About 40 yards - DEAD!
    • November 7, 2012 10:35 PM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm actually currently using the NAP 3 blade Spitfires..
    • December 10, 2014 7:31 AM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

<p>Currently shooting the Toxic by Flying Arrow Archery, I am on their field staff, and am VERY impressed with the flight and performance of them.  Previously I shot the Reign, and was very happy with them as well, but I am not opposed to mechancials at all, I just prefer fixed blades....as others have said, shot placement is everything!!!</p>

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is closed
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel
test