Forums » Need I say More?

List of newest posts

    • January 22, 2014 2:22 PM EST
    • LOL Congrats Ron.
      Everybody has something funny that has happened to them while Hunting. Its just that Not everybody will admit it. Hell - I am the first one to laugh at myself. Whats the difference? It is all in fun

    • September 8, 2010 9:12 PM EDT
    • Chris,
      Crossing logs above a stream should be the main gaff for alot of hunters! I did the same thing but I was crossing over to get to an elk I had dropped from across the canyon. He was down and lodged up against a tree laying perpendicular to the slope so he couldn't go anywhere but I didn't know that when I was hustling over. I went in head first with my rifle slinged also. What a shock; ice cold November water! I scrambled out to the bank and opened the bolt to drain it and got up the hill as quick as I could to put the kill shot in him. My partner got up to me and couldn't quit laughing while I couldn't quit shivering. I've never been so cold and excited in my life.

    • June 12, 2010 2:46 PM EDT
    • Ok- This happened about 20 years ago-

      We were hunting in Deleware County NY. Opening day was uneventful and rainy. None of us seemed to have any luck that day so like any 20 year old sportsman, we had a few beers & talked about the days events which was a short conversation. As luck would have it- we woke up to a nice fresh blanket of snow. It only snowed a few inches but it was enough to give us a little bit of an edge.

      After first light- I thought that I would try a new area to hunt. I came to a small river. It was only about 20 feet wide & there was a fallen tree across it which gave me a nice dry place to cross. So I slung my rifle over my shoulder & started to cross. What I failed to take into account was that the fallen tree was also covered with snow. I was about halfway across when I started to slip & lose my balance on the tree. Naturally, I figured that I should jump to the riverbank. I could make that jump....couldnt I? Just as I started to make the jump, the rifle swung around & hit me in the face.

      I came up about 5 feet shy of the river bank & landed in the deepest section which was almost chest high in Ice Cold river water!. I made my way back to the side of the river that I started from & ran all the way back to the truck which was a mile away. I felt a little relieved when I finally got into the truck but...... There was No Keys!! I tried beeping the horn thinking that my friends would come back to the truck- No Such luck. So I got out of the truck to go & find them. I found them only a few hundred yards away. You would think that they would want to get me back to the cabin to get warm- Wrong again. They did give me the keys to go to the cabin myself though.

      Now I know that I am not the only one to pull a bone head move- lets hear some storied

    • June 23, 2011 4:12 PM EDT
    • These bears got balls. They come into my backyard when my kids are playing. I got stories how close to killing them I've been.

    • June 23, 2011 3:47 PM EDT
    • That happend to me too! I was walking up to the range at Whitetail Hunting Club & for some reason, i left my rifle in the truck. this bear pops up from a bush about 15 yards away! It was a small bear, maybe 200lbs at best but I am sure it could still do a job on me. I stopped & we stared at eachother for a few minutes. I took a step backwards & it took off & climbed at tree. I backed out of the woods, got my rifle & went back to the range to do my target shooting. this time the bear was gone. I still looked over my shoulder after each shot though

    • June 23, 2011 3:41 PM EDT
    • I got another one for you. About 3 years ago spring turkey hunting I was making some calls and a black bear came in. Maybe I was a little off that day and sounded like a dieing turkey. The bear wasn't that big but still big enough to maul me. He kept comming closer and closer to me about 35 yards so I stood up raising my arms above my head and groweled at him to scare him away. It didn't scare him, it pissed him off! He ran closer to me and jumped onto a tree hanging off the side of it stairing me down. I figured if he came any closer I would have to shoot him in the face with my 10ga. but he finaly got down and slowly walked away. Needless to say I packed it up and called it a day again. Turkey hunting is supposed to be a stress relief for me.

    • June 23, 2011 2:03 PM EDT
    • LOL Thanks Tom Lucky your daughtrer was with you

    • June 23, 2011 1:38 PM EDT
    • I don't know if this is a blooper but last year I had my daughter tagging along with me while turkey hunting. IT'S ALWAYS WISE NOT TO GO ALONE! Even though I usualy do. We were walking through this marshy area and WHAM I stepped in the wrong place. 2 seconds I sunk in this mud up to my crotch. I fell myself backwards to stop sinking in. My tiny daughter must have got an adrenalen rush and pulled me out. I remember I was stuck like a sucktion cup in that mud. I packed it in for the day after that.

    • April 11, 2011 2:25 PM EDT
    • Thanks for sharing that with us. I guess all of us are not that brave to share their hunting Bloopers. We all have them. So we might as well share them and have a good chuckle, right?

    • February 25, 2011 4:17 PM EST
    • Like most of you deer hunters out there I do my scouting and change my hunting locations as the deer season progress and their habits, trails and food sources change. 2009 season came and I thought I had everything zeroed in for the seasons' firearms. Well, it seemed that shooting was all around me every day as I hunted mornings, mid-day and evenings without even seeing a doe. It came down to the final day and I decided to hunt a piece of marsh near a tidal marsh area. As I travelled thru the weeds I came to a small stream which I needed to cross to get to the edge of the marsh. I found an old log that had felled across the stream and started across the log. When I got to within 2 feet of the otherside my feet slipped and down I went into the cold water, portable stand, gun and thermos. Quickly I stood up and made a decision whether wet or not I was going to hunt. All was fine and well until 8a.m when I started to shiver, my mind told me I needed to leave and go get dry and return later , but, my heart said give it 15 more minutes. Being a former Marine and infantry sgt I had experienced tougher situations, so I stayed.At 8:20 I heard thwe crashing of brush as deer moved towards where I was hunting. Two does burst into an opening followed by a 7 point buck. I shot the first doe and then the trailing buck who seemed confused that anyone should be out in his marsh. The doe fell dead and the buck ran off and disappeared from my sight.Then the uncertainty ran thru my mind, why didn't he drop. I climbed down the loblloly pine and gutted the doe, tag the animal and went to look for the buck. When I got to wwhere the buck was standing there was blood and hair but no sign of the buck. I walked the direction of the blood and there he laid just inside some bayberry bushes a mere 20 feet from where I shot him. I proceeded to gut him and placed a tag on him and walked backed to my pick--up. I got inside the cab and warmed myself up. Suddenly the cold had left and I felt warm and energize. After half an hour I trudged back into the marsh and began retrieving the two deer which took me about 1 1/2 hours. So like Yogi Berra said, it ain't over till it's over. Any deer taken on public hunting land on the east coast I consider a trophy, so it was for me in 09, last day of season, shivering but collecting my trophies for the year.